DESTIN AREA GUIDE FOR FAMILIES AND COUPLES VACATION FUN
Read on for everything from getting to Destin to what to do once here. The Destin area guide has a lot of information for you.
Visit the Emerald Coast for a fantastic escape with your friends and family – Why Go To Destin? Check out the list from our Destin Area Guide
Destin named the “World’s Luckiest Fishing Village,” grew into one of the most popular vacation spots on the panhandle. Largely due to the connection of the Destin Bridge, but it still remains a great friendly town.
GETTING TO DESTIN, FLORIDA – BY FLIGHT
- Northwest Florida Regional Airport
- Pensacola Regional Airport
- Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport
The closest is Northwest Florida Regional Airport (VPS). Just 20 minutes from downtown Destin, this smaller airport is served by American Airlines, United, Delta, and US Airways, from Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Charlotte.
Pensacola Regional Airport (PNS), about an hour west of Destin, is larger and served by American Airlines, Delta, Silver Airways, Southwest, United, and US Airways. Direct flights can be booked from Dallas, Houston, Nashville, Chicago, Washington DC, Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa, and Miami.
Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport (ECP) is a smaller airport about an hour east of Destin and is the newest of the three. Airlines serving ECP are Delta, Southwest, and United. Direct flights are available from Atlanta, Baltimore, Dallas, Houston, Nashville, and St. Louis.
GETTING TO DESTIN, FLORIDA – BY CAR
DRIVING DIRECTIONS TO DESTIN FLORIDA
Driving to Destin, Florida is easy too! It is about 50 miles from Panama City Beach and Pensacola. Destin sits at the intersection of US Highway 98 and 293 and driving to Destin affords you the opportunity to explore some of Northwest Florida’s most beautiful landscapes, including the Point Washington State Forest, Apalachicola National Forest, Blackwater River State Forest, and Scenic Highway 30A.
- New York: 19 hours, 1,200 miles
- Mobile: 2 hours, 108 miles
- Atlanta: 5 hours, 335 miles
- New Orleans: 4 hours, 250 miles
- Dallas/Ft. Worth: 11 hours, 700 miles
- Chicago: 14 hours, 925 miles
- Nashville: 7 hours, 455 miles
- Birmingham: 4.5 hours, 250 miles
- Houston: 8.5 hours, 575 miles
- Tallahassee: 2.5 hours, 150 miles
- Montgomery: 3 hours, 160 miles
- Jacksonville: 5 hours, 320 miles
RELAX ON THE DESTIN BEACHES
Vacationers can relax on the Destin beaches anytime. Henderson State Park remains a wonderful choice for a public beach within Destin. Henderson State Park offers guests thirty-foot white sands dunes and warm gulf waters.
SILVER SHELLS OF DESTIN BEACH AND RESORT DAY SPA
Guests of the Silver Shells Destin Beach and Day Spa Resort may bask in the shimmering warm gulf waters or take a dip in the lagoon heated pool, hot tub, or simply enjoy a quiet massage in the resort’s spa. Adjacent to Henderson Beach State Park and close to the Destin Harbor, outdoor visitor types will have plenty to do. Guests can fly to and from Silver Shells with choices of four nearby airports.
SPA AND RELAXATION – SILVER SHELLS DAY SPA ON SITE
The premier luxury spa of Silver Shells is right on-site for guests to utilize anytime. From traditional Swedish to Deep tissue, stone massages to European blends, hydrotherapy to aromatherapy, and everything in between, the spa is waiting to give you a pampering experience of bliss.
DESTIN COMMONS – PREMIER SHOPPING EXPERIENCE
Premier shopping, boutique shops, dining choices, sales galore. All can be found at Destin Commons outdoor mall, a 500,000 square foot shopping center about 2.4 miles from Silver Shells. This premier open-air center features 90+ stores and restaurants. Guests will enjoy shopping here, or the Silver Sands Outlet is just a few additional minutes away.
All of the below TOP THINGS TO DO IN DESTIN are within 1 minute to 20 mins away. We hope that you will enjoy the list!
15 FAMILY TOP THINGS TO DO IN DESTIN AND NEARBY FOR THE KIDS
- BAYTOWN VILLAGE AT SANDESTIN RESORT
- BIG KAHUNA’S WATER PARK & ARCADE
- T-REX ISLAND ADVENTURE GOLF
- GULFARIUM MARINE ADVENTURE PARK
- KAYAK ADVENTURES
- BUCCANEER PIRATE CRUISE WITH THE FAMILY
- KIDS FISHING ADVENTURE TRIPS
- BANANA BOAT RIDES
- PONTOON BOAT RENTALS AND A TRIP TO CRAB ISLAND
- DOLPHIN SUNSET CRUISE
- RIPLEY’S BELIEVE IT OR NOT (PANAMA CITY BEACH)
- WONDER WORKS (PANAMA CITY BEACH)
- CATAMARAN SAILING TRIP WITH MOBY
- UNCLE BUCK’S FISHBOWL AND GRILL
15 TOP ROMANTIC CHOICES FOR COUPLES IN DESTIN AND NEARBY
- GRAB A COUPLES MASSAGE AT THE SILVER SHELLS DAY SPA
- GRAB A PONTOON BOAT, COOLER, AND HEAD TO YOUR OWN PRIVATE ISLAND FOR THE DAY
- RENT JET SKIS RIGHT AT THE BEACH OF SILVER SHELLS OF DESTIN
- GO GOLFING FOR A DAY AT SANDESTIN GOLF RESORT AND GRAB DINNER FOR TWO AT MARLIN GRILL
- GRAB BEACH CHAIRS AND RELAX ON THE BEACH and SNACK or DRINK FROM THE SAND BAR (Silver Shells Resort)
- RENT KAYAKS AND GO KAYAKING AROUND THE DUNE LAKES (30A AREA)
- RENT BIKES AND BIKE THE BEAUTIFUL SCENIC HIGHWAY 30A (30A AREA)
- GRAB A SUNSET PRIVATE CRUISE WITH “SAILING THE SLOOP” (PANAMA CITY BEACH AREA)
- GO ON A WINE TASTING TOUR
- TRY OUT FLOAT BROTHERS FLOATING SPA
- TAKE A BEACH HELICOPTER RIDE AROUND THE EMERALD COAST
- VISIT 30A ROSEMARY BEACH AND GRAB A NICE DINNER AT THE PEARL (30A AREA)
- GO TO THE ARCADES, GO BUMPER BOATING, GO GO-KARTING, AND PLAY LIKE A KID AGAIN!
- PUT ON SNORKEL GEAR AND GO SNORKELING AT THESE GREAT SPOTS
- TAKE A TIKI BOAT CRUISE